The theory placement test for SCF music was created in the 1980’s. The material in the test was of good quality, but the visual presentation was poor. I had been typed on a typewrite and copied for years.
So I created an online version of the test using my Canvas Free-For-Teachers account. This allowed students who had not yet received an SCF email to sign up for the test.
It also allowed students to take the test when they were ready, allowed myself to re-test students without having to physically meet with them on campus, and automatically graded results. This is a timed test, which instructions sent by email as well as being presented within the test itself.
The test includes the following topics:
- Note identification, including all clefs.
- Rhythmic equivalences, including notes and rests.
- Keyboard identification using Scientific Pitch Notation.
- Scale identification using major and all minor scales.
- Key Signature identification for both major and minor keys.
- Scale building for major and all minor scales.
- Relative major and minor.
- Scale degrees, including degree names and solfege.
- Interval identification.
- Interval inversions.
- Term matching for dynamics.
- Meter classification.
- Time Signature identification, including simple and complex.
- Beaming questions.
- Triad identification.
- Triad building.